Black Boy (The Restored Text Established by The Library of America) (Perennial Classics)

Black Boy - Richard Wright, Jerry W. Ward Jr. This book feels like 2 books put together. The first one, about his younger life and much longer than the second one (thankfully), is incredible. This is one of those books they sometimes make you read in high school, which is how I came across it, but thank god they did! Wright's writing style in the first book is just so fantastic- he makes things come to life with great imagery- not just the places and physical things, but the people and their feelings. I remember being fascinated with how he described things. The topic itself was also very well written. Normally I'm not a big fan of the "I was oppressed" genre, but some authors actually do it creatively, and well- Wright is the best of these. He tells a captivating and beautifully written story of a boy growing up in the Jim Crow society- but there are funny moments and exciting moments, too, so don't get depressed thinking this'll be just another "woe is me" book.Now the second part, I almost hated. It basically is him talking about him being part of the communist party in Chicago and the writing style changes to this kind of long-winded rambling about... uh... communism. I don't have anything against the concept of communism, but the way this was written is just crap compared to the first section. And the discontinuity just kills it.I suggest stopping once you finish part I- it ends as a book in itself, so there is ZERO need to read the second part and it really adds nothing else to understanding the character anyway.